First long journey with the fourtynine euro ticket

Cologne to Hamburg. It was predicted to be a five and a bit hour journey with three trains.

I set off around 8:30 the first train was delayed leading to missing my connection, adding an hour wait for the next train. The next train also ran late but with some luck I just caught it, leading to a rosey glow that lasted until I realised that my next train from Bremen to Hamburg had already been cancelled 🙄 
Upon arrival though the train seemed to be there. It's something I've experienced relatively often, that the details in the App don't match the real world. I asked a conductor if this was the Hamburg train and was given indication that it was but the conductor was actually more interested in getting me to put my bike in the carriage further along. Only after setting off did I realise I was on a train to Hannover not Hamburg! Hoped off at the first stop and was held at the barrier while a return train stopped on the opposite platform. A short wait before the next train and the double back to Bremen. Then a half-hour wait before the correct train arrived. 

So I'm now on the last leg. This train is as filthy as all the others and I'm about to get my tick checked for the first time. I've now been traveling for nearly eight hours. 

I think next time I'll try to plan ahead and pay for an ICE. 

Popular Posts